Sunday, March 7, 2010

That was easy


Current status:

Blend undercut trigger guard.
Fit trigger to frame.
Fit hammer, sear, disconnecter.
Trigger job.
Fit and blend grip safety.
Fit firing pin stop.
Fit extractor.
Fit thumb safety.
Fit slide stop.
Do a general de-burring and pre-finish clean up.
Refinish.
Decide on grips.
Install sights.
Test fire.
Adjust ejector.
Lock-tite the grip bushings, trigger overtravel screw, and rear sight set screw. 

The trigger is a polymer/glass epoxy model from STI.  I had never used one of these, but wanted to try it.  The bow arrived in perfect condition, so I didn't have to do any bending or forming.  All I had to do was swipe the top and bottom of the shoe a few times over some sand paper, test fit, swipe, test, swipe, test, over and over again until it fit.  It took 30 minutes at the most.  Here's the before:

And the after.


If I end up not liking the feel of the extremely lightweight polymer trigger I plan to install the flat one from 10-8.  Right now it seems pretty good, though.  The nice thing about doing these things yourself is that you can take the time on the things that are really important to you within the building process.  In this instance, I could have just sanded the trigger until it slid into the frame easily, but instead I took my time, and now have a trigger with absolutely zero up and down slop, but that doesn't drag on the frame at all.  

Next is to fit and install the hammer, sear, and disconnecter.  I pulled the parts out for a close inspection, and noticed that the hammer has a strange seam inside the thumb notch.  

It's going to take some careful work with a very small file to get rid of that, but that kind of detail is what this project is all about.  

I think the next step I'll tackle is fitting together the slide assembly.  Once I fit and install the fire control group, I'm going to need a complete slide in order to test it, so next up is the extractor and slide stop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment