Sunday, March 21, 2010

Glock Connector Test

After feedback from Len Baxley that he didn't like the Ghost Rocket connector in my Glock, I decided to do some experimenting to find a reduced weight connector that would work for me.  So I opened up the old checkbook, pulled out the trigger gauge, and did some experimenting and testing.

This is the Ghost Rocket, Scherer, and Lone Wolf.  The Glock OEM's look basically identical to the Scherer.

First, what I like in a Glock trigger.

I like a distinct two stage feel.

I like the first stage to be light (this is mostly influenced by the trigger spring).

I like the second stage to feel distinctly different from the first stage, with a very crisp break to the trigger.  Sponginess is bad.



The connectors tested were as follows:


  • Glock OEM 5.5 lb connector (the one that came with my G17).
  • Glock OEM 3.5 lb connector
  • Scherer 3.5 lb connector
  • Lone Wolf 3.5 lb connector
  • Ghost Rocket connector

Let's talk about pull weights.  I used a Lyman trigger pull gauge, and pulled from the very bottom of the trigger (which results in the greatest leverage and thus the lowest weights, but I needed consistent results).  I basically pulled a bunch of times, recorded the results, and ran the numbers.

The results:

Glock 5.5:  Average weight: 4.33 Standard Deviation: 0.06
Glock 3.5:  Average weight:  3.25  Standard Deviation:  0.08
Scherer 3.5:  Average weight:  3.23  Standard Deviation:  0.12
Lone Wolf 3.5:  Average weight:  3.13  Standard Deviation:  0.08
Ghost Rocket:  Average weight:  4.63  Standard Deviation:  0.22


As you can see, the Glock 3.5, Scherer, and Lone Wolf are all incredibly similar.  They even feel similar.  I think, based on my very subjective tests, the Lone Wolf feels the spongiest, and the Glock OEM is the most crisp.  However, they're all so similar it could just be in my mind.

The Ghost Rocket is the big disappointment, especially considering it's also the most expensive.  I will say that the overtravel stop works as advertised.  However, the data doesn't lie, and this connector just doesn't as well as even the OEM 5.5 lb trigger.

Conclusion:  After all is said and done, it's the Glock 3.5 lb connector that is sitting in my Glock 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment