Monday, June 21, 2010

More El Pres Practice

Here's another video I made of me running the El Presidente drill, this time on steel. This time you can see that my shots are evenly spaced, all coming in at a split time of around .30 seconds. I fumbled the slidelock reload a bit because I'm still not quite used to not having the extended slide stop on my Glocks, which pushed the time to 6.6 seconds for the drill (with one miss on shot number 8).


Time and again you hear the old adage "slow is smooth and smooth is fast." I think with these kinds of drills it's really true. Try this experiment: shoot this drill while trying to make your body move as fast as possible. Then take a deep breath, and shoot this drill while trying to be as smooth and economical as possible. I can almost guarantee your time will be better being smoother. And if it's not better, it will be very close, and then all you have to do is allow the speed to come without losing the smooth, economical motions, and you'll have something really fast.


From my own personal data gathering, I know I can perform a reload in about 1.6 to 1.7 seconds if I'm hauling ass and really trying to get the magazine into the gun in a hurry. However, if I focus on being smooth and economical with my movements my reload times drop to 1.4 to 1.5 seconds. Also, when I'm smooth I don't have major reloading flubs as often, meaning I take a lot of the 2.5 second reloads out of the equation.


Anyway, I welcome all critiques and criticism - and I'm not saying that this video is a great example of a smooth El Presidente run - it's simply smoother than the last one I posted. In fact, you can see my head bob down a bit on the reload - that's something I intend to fix during dry fire practice this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment