Monday, January 31, 2011

The SIRT Training Pistol

A couple of months back I bought a SIRT training pistol from Next Level Training.  It was a really cool training tool, but ultimately it wasn't for me.  Here's why:

The SIRT pistol wouldn't fit in my Blade-Tech holster the same way my G17 and 34 do.  That meant I had to drastically loosen the retention screws on my holster, which was a pain.

The SIRT actually trained me to shift my focus from the front sight to the target at exactly the worst time. One of the best aspects of dry fire is that nothing distracts you from seeing the front sight all through the trigger pull, and this is how you really train yourself to be accurate and to call your shots. With the laser shining on the target, it's all too easy to train yourself to look at the target after every shot, which is not only slow, it makes it so your shot calling learning curve is lengthened dramatically. 


They do an admirable job of recreating the Glock trigger feel, but it's just not the same as the real thing.  Really learning your particular trigger is key to being a better shooter, and working with an approximation just doesn't seem like the best idea.


Ultimately I sold my SIRT.  I still think it has a lot of value in some applications, for instance I think it's better for instructors than shooters. If I'm teaching someone to shoot, I always start with dry fire to go over the fundamentals. When they're working on trigger control, I have to watch very carefully to see if their sights are moving. However, with the SIRT I can just look at their target and see if the laser moves when the trigger is pulled. It's easier that way - plus, it has advantages for "tactical" training where you can see if anyone is muzzle-sweeping their buddies. 

At $430, I think the money is better spent on a proper class with a quality instructor.  That's just my opinion.  Oh, and I did end up buying another of their weighted practice magazine after I sold my original SIRT kit.  That practice magazine is great - it features the same feel of working with a loaded magazine without the danger of a negligent discharge.  



Anyway, whether you try a SIRT or do traditional dry fire, get practicing!

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about buying one. You have made an excellent point about the training distraction from the front sight to the target.

    ReplyDelete