Monday, May 10, 2010

More Glock Trigger Experimentation

Inspired by the table o' trigger pull weights at http://glockmeister.com/pages.php?cID=3&pID=25, I decided to order a few parts and see if I could get a Glock trigger that I like even better than what I'm running now.

Here's a couple of snaps of the grip tape job I did on the frame.  I like it - it gives me great traction for a high thumbs-forward grip.


And the other side.


First, what I like in a Glock trigger.

  • Distinct two stage feel.
  • I don't want a lot of mush in order for the shot to break.  I want it to break as close to the proverbial "glass rod" as possible.
  • As light as possible on the first stage.  
  • I absolutely refuse to compromise any internal safety features.  That means no titanium firing pin block, reduced power firing pin block spring, reduced power striker spring, etc.  
Now, what you like may be different from what I like, so I won't evaluate these triggers in terms of "good" or "bad" or "I like it" or "I don't like it."  I'll simply describe them as well as I can, and provide data wherever possible.

On with the show.


In  a previous entry I evaluated several 3.5 lb connectors, so I don't want to rehash any of that information.  However, I did retake some measurements with the Glock 3.5 lb connector in order to compare it to the two new connectors I was using in this test.

The new equipment for testing and evaluation:

The Ghost 5 lb Patrol Connector (right, below)
The Ghost 4.5 lb Ranger Connector (left, above)


The Wolff extra power trigger spring (right, below)


The Wolff extra power striker spring.

I didn't test every possible combination.  Sorry.  I was mostly looking for a set up that I liked.  However, you can make some pretty safe assumptions from the data below.  For example, I didn't test the Ranger connector with the Wolff trigger spring, but you can pretty much guarantee it would have had a 1.75 lb take up and a break somewhere in the 3 lb range.

Ok, the data:

Shorthand for the data below:
GTS = Glock Trigger Spring
WTS = Wolff Trigger Spring
G5C = Glock 5 lb Connector
G3.5C = Glock 3.5 lb Connector
Patrol = Ghost 5 lb Patrol Connector
Ranger = Ghost 4.5 lb Ranger connector
SSS = Stock Striker Spring
WSS = Wolf extra power Striker Spring
The first "column" of numbers will be the take up weight, and the second will be the break weight.

STS, G5C, SSS:  2.00; 4.38
STS, Patrol, SSS:  2.00; 4.00
STS, Ranger, SSS: 2.00; 3.25
WTS, Ranger, SSS: 1.75; 3.00
WTS, G5C, SSS: 1.75; 4.13
WTS, G3.5C, SSS:  1.75; 3.25
WTS, G3.5C, XPSS: 1.75; 3.38
WTS, Patrol, SSS:  1.75; 3.63
WTS, Patrol, XPSS:  1.75; 4.13

Insights:

  • The Wolff trigger spring tended to reduce trigger take up weight by about 1/4 of a pound, and break weight of about 1/8 to 3/8 of a pound, depending on the connector.
  • The Extra power striker spring added about .5 lbs to the break weight, but doesn't exactly make the 3.5 lb connector feel more "crisp" at all, which was what I was hoping.  It just feels like it takes a little more force to move through the mush, if you will.
  • The Ranger trigger, which is supposed to yield a heavier pull than the Ghost Rocket 3.5 lb connector, doesn't seem to at all.  In fact, to me it felt like the mushiest connector I've used.  I didn't even try it with 
  • The Ghost Patrol trigger yields a pull weight about 3/8 to 1/2 lb lower than the stock Glock 5 lb connector.  However, it doesn't feel mushy at all like all of the 3.5 lb connectors.  It's not quite as crisp on the break as the stock Glock 5 lb connector, but the numbers don't lie - it does reduce the pull weight without sacrificing the typical Glock trigger feel.
Ultimately I went back and forth a lot between the Patrol trigger with the Wolff trigger spring and the Extra power striker spring, and the Glock 5 lb connector with the Wolff trigger spring and the Stock striker spring.  I must have gone back and forth between the two setups a dozen times.  Ultimately I settled on the Stock 5 lb connector setup.  Even though the numbers were identical, the stock connector felt a little more crisp in the 2nd stage.  Also, while it may be an advantage to use an extra power striker spring in case you encounter a rock-hard primer, I think it may be hard on the breach face during extended dry fire sessions.

I'll get pics up of my current Glock 17 configuration sometime very soon.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment